Monday, January 25, 2010

post number one

In the Harvard model of composition the students were evaluated on form rather than content. Do you think this approach truly helps writers improve their overall abilities?

I personally think writing is more than grammar and punctuation, I believe form is important but not everything. Williams said that this approach has failed within the public school system. NAEP results are demonstrating children's writing abilities are decreasing and getting worse with time. I think this problem is a result of several underlining factors. One being the fact that teachers are so concentrated on form. They stress the importance of punctuation and correct grammar and children lose sight of content and creativity within their writing. If I knew I was only being graded on my form I would concentrate my attention on editing and making sure all of my punctuation was correct. Having correct grammar, word choice and punctuation does not make a piece of writing meaningful or considered "good" by any means. I think teachers need to shy away from teaching to a standardized test or concentrating only of form. Teachers need to incorporate all aspects of writing into their teaching and grading. I believe it is important for teachers to equip students with the knowledge of sentence structure and grammar but not let this be the only area of focus. Teachers need to help children build on their ideas and creativity as well as the other structural aspects of writing. Writing is more than just form and I believe teachers need to structure their lessons and assignments away from this idea. Therefor I
do not believe this approach to teaching writing is effective for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment