Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Adverbials

Grammar is always one of the hardest things for children to grasp in their writing. There are so many rules and different parts of speech. Elementary and middle school teachers do not have enough time to spend on grammar lesson as children need. What is one area of grammar you feel you do not know much about? Do you remember learning this content in grade school?

I have trouble understanding several different components of grammar in the English language. I have learned a lot through the grammar lessons students have been giving in class. As i was preparing for my lesson I realized I did not know a whole lot about my topic. My groups topic is adverbials. Before reading chapter seven I could not even define the term. I knew what an adverb was and some examples which included words like quickly, happily, finally, ect. However, I did not know there was such a thing as adverbial phrases or adverb clauses. I did not know the flexibility and wide range of variety adverbs could bring to a piece of writing.
There are several key points I took away from this chapter on adverbials. I learned their basic function is modify certain parts of speech. The thing I find difficult about this, is the fact that adverbs can modify so many different parts of speech including verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. I think the author did a great job breaking down the different types of adverbials and how they are used in a sentence. It was helpful when reading about adverbial phrases and clauses to see the specific examples. In the sentence "Bella ran very quickly" I used to think that just the word quickly was the adverb. I was not aware that there was such a thing as adverbial phrases which would consist of very quickly. Now i understand very describes how quickly and quickly is the adverb. There are so many different ways of writing and using adverbials it was difficult for me to grasp at first. I honestly feel through the reading of this chapter and the planning of our lesson I learned a lot on the topic. I hope my new knowledge of adverbials is able to improve my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment